- Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law www.bazelon.org The nation’s leading legal advocate for people with mental disabilities. Our precedent-setting litigation has outlawed institutional abuse and won protections against arbitrary confinement. In the courts and in Congress, our advocacy has opened up public schools, workplaces, housing and other opportunities for people with mental disabilities to participate in community life.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) www.nami.org
NAMI Report: A Guide to Mental Illness and the Criminal Justice System
Alameda County NAMI(Family Alliance on Mental Illness) Oakland CA (510)-835-0188
- State of California Little Hoover Commission: Being There: Making a Commitment to Mental Health (Report #157, November 2000)
- US Department of Justice Statistics Special Report: Mental Health Problems of Prison and Jail Inmates, 2006.
- BestNow! The goal of the 10-year-old program is to recruit, train, and place peer specialist in human services positions within Alameda County Behavioral Health Care System. The 9-month training program consists of classroom training and an internship. Coordinators: Katrina Killian, Barbara Lewis-Clarke 510-383-1605 BBestNow at aol.com
- Mentoring: New Dynamics/The Hope Project
Mental health Advocates to young adults and at-risk youth.
510-698-4894 (Office) 209-740-9996 (Emergency) bigbuckna at yahoo.com
5415 Princeton Street, Oakland, CA. 94601. Dewitt Buckingham, Director.
- Pool of Consumer Champions Alameda County. This organization is for mental health consumers who want to work together to help themselves and others. Criminal Justice Committee contact: Mary Hogden: mhogden at acbhcs.org
- The Court Advocacy Project (CAP) 510-627-4992, CAP at acbhcs.org
- Legal, Social & Mental Health Resources in Alameda County
- Alameda County Public Defender
- Alameda County Sheriff’s Office, Santa Rita Jail – Inmate Services Unit 925-551-6580
- Criminal Justice Mental Health (CJMH), Santa Rita Jail 925-551-6740
- ACCESS Program – Alameda County – Alcohol, Drug, & Mental Health Treatment Services 1-800-491-9099, 510-346-1010
- Alameda County Behavioral Health Care Services Consumer Assistance Office 1-800-779-0787
- Mental Health Association of Alameda County (Legal Advocacy) 510-835-0188
- Homeless Action Center (Social Security Applications)
Berkeley 510-540-0878, Oakland 510-836-3260
- Crisis Response North County 510-268-7837, South County 510-667-4901
- John George Psychiatric Pavilion, Patient Information 510-346-7500
- Sausal Creek Outpatient Stabilization 510-437-2363