What We Affirm
Mission Peak Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Fremont was founded in 1993, and is one of the seven UU congregations in the Bay area. We are a member congregation of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts.
The foundation of Mission Peak is love. We are a spiritual community of open minds, nurturing growth and healing in ourselves and all people. Together we strive to live compassionately and courageously as we work for a nonviolent, just and sustainable world.
We embrace and give life to this mission statement by:
- Offering each other love, trust, respect, and support in time of joy and need.
- Creating worship services and encourage spiritual exploration and personal growth.
- Providing educational experiences for all ages that encourage a free and responsible search for truth and meaning, and an acceptance of religious and social diversity.
- And serving the community in accordance with our social conscience and our Unitarian Universalist principles.
We welcome to membership every person who shares these values.
Principles and Purposes
The Mission Peak Congregation affirms and promotes the Principles and Purposes of the UUA:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in our society at large
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part
We impose no creed. We believe that religious faith is uniquely personal and evolves as we engage in our inner search and in our life journey.
We care about children and young people. Our religious education program offers relevant and engaging curricula presented by teachers who are trained and supported by our Director of Religious Education.
We offer child care for infants and toddlers during the worship service and for all-church events. We also sponsor inter-generational activities throughout the year so that families may participate together in the life of our church.
Our governance is democratic. We follow the tradition of congregational governance, in which each local congregation is responsible for its own business and management . Our leadership is elected each spring at the annual meeting. Our minister is called to lead us by a vote of the congregation.
Your presence is important. Membership in our congregation is a participatory activity. When you join us, you are eligible to vote, to serve on committees and to become fully involved in the life of our church.
Mission Peak UU Congregation is where you:
- Have a religious home where diversity is appreciated and celebrated
- Value the inherent worth and dignity of individuals
- Appreciate the freedom to explore and develop your own religious philosophy
- Support a place where intergenerational connections are nurtured
- Believe that social action is an obligation
- Can be who you truly are