Discussion Questions for Peer Support and Self Help
- Can you think of a time when a person going through the same troubles you were going through was helpful to you? (This doesn’t have to be mental health problems.) If so, explain the circumstances.
- Are you familiar with Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous and other 12-step programs? If so, tell us your opinion of them and whether you think they work. Do you think this concept carries over to mental illnesses?
- What do you think about a patient and Doctore jointly deciding on medication, rather than only the doctor?
- The laws in many states say a person can’t be committed to a mental hospital against his or her will unless he or she is a danger to self or others. What do you think of this law? Wat are the pros and cons?
- For local resources see: Resources Mentioned in the Show
These questions are to provide family and peer discussion and education. The information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical or psychological condition. If you think someone is too fragile to be part of the discussion, please have them consult their mental health care provider for individual advice regarding the situation.