Discussion Questions for Mental Health Prejudice and Discrimination
- The video talked about some myths and facts about mental illness. Have you heard any of the following negative messages about mentally ill people? What do you think the facts are? How can you find out?
- not curable
- morally deficient, God’s judgment
- unreliable, unpredictable
- can’t communicate
- character flaws
- poor parenting
- nothing to contribute to society
- Have you ever experienced internalized mental health prejudice? i.e. thinking less of yourself because you had a mental disorder. Can you explain how this felt and how you were able to overcome it?
- What can you do if you experience harmful prejudice against yourself or others with mental illness?
- What role can your church play?
- For local resources see: Resources Mentioned in the Show
These questions are to provide family and peer discussion and education. The information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical or psychological condition. If you think someone is too fragile to be part of the discussion, please have them consult their mental health care provider for individual advice regarding the situation.