Discussion Questions for Psychiatric Service Dogs
- Do you know anyone who has a service dog for any condition – blindness, psychiatry, … ? If so, what does the dog do for the person? How has it made a difference in the person’s life?
- Thinking about the examples of service dogs given in the show: ex: Agoraphobia, Bipolar Disorder, Major Depression, Panic attack / Anxiety, Social Phobia, PTSD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Dissociative Identity Disorder, and Schizophrenia. Were you surprised at the ways they can help people with mental illness? If so, which ones?
- Were you aware that Veronica’s dog Ollivander was working during the show before she mentioned it?
- Had you heard about service dog ettiquette before? Will this cause you to do anything different that you might have before?
- Linden mentioned some of the difficulties in having a service dog. Do you think you would be willing to live with these problems if you needed a service dog? Which would be especially hard for you?
- If you were to see someone being hassled about a service dog, would you be able/willing to challenge this? Why or why not?
- Is there anyone you know who might benedit by having a service dog? Would you feel comfortable in suggesting that they watch the show?
For resources see: Resources Mentioned in the Show
These questions are to provide family and peer discussion and education. The information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical or psychological condition. If you think someone is too fragile to be part of the discussion, please have them consult their mental health care provider for individual advice regarding the situation.