Fair Share Contribution Guide
This Guide has three simple steps.
- Most of us budget our financial commitments on a monthly basis and the guide is organized accordingly, but you may calculate on any time frame that works for you. For convenience, the guide shows monthly and corresponding annual income levels. Determine your monthly income or resource level. $______________________
- ADD to your income level any unusual or periodic income, such as inheritances, business income, anticipated investment income, etc.
SUBTRACT any unusual expenses, such as large medical expenses, care of a parent, or a large financial expense, etc.
Result: $____________________ This is your Adjusted Monthly Income.
Each of us will have our own unique circumstances to consider in making this calculation. The flexibility to include meaningful and unusual exceptions in your financial life (income and expenses) is what makes the Guide fair and useful. This is a tool for you to use in the spirit of the Congregationalist tradition; we are individually and collectively responsible for resourcing our movement and our congregations. This is an honor system; only you know your circumstances.
- From the Adjusted Monthly Income column, move to the right to find a suggested giving level that you are ready to support, between 2% and 10%, depending on adjusted income and level of commitment. Interpolate between guide levels if needed.
In making your decision, consider the four commitment levels below and how they relate to your membership. Consider your UU values in thinking about your income and your financial commitment to the congregation, as expressed in the four levels below. Note that within each commitment level, the guide is progressive, with giving levels rising with capacity.
- Supporter: The congregation is a significant part of my spiritual and intellectual life that I want to support. My fair share financial commitment starts at 2% of my income and rises to 6% as my income and capacity rise.
- Sustainer: The congregation is my central community; I am committed to sustaining the programs and ministries of my congregation. My fair share financial commitment starts at 3% of my income and rises to 7% as my income and capacity rise.
- Visionary: My commitment is a clear demonstration of the unique importance of this congregation and of my spiritual principles. My fair share financial commitment starts at 5% of my income and rises to 9% as my income and capacity rise.
- Transformer: I am deeply committed to the congregation; my contribution provides fuel for transformation and is part of my spiritual practices in living out my UU Principles. My fair share financial commitment represents 10% of my income.
The Suggested Fair Share Contribution Guide
Wherever you find the right level, revisit it periodically to assess if it’s still the right level for you or if you are ready to move to a deeper level of support.
[Content courtesy of Stewardship For Us | www.stewardshipforus.com]