Discussion Questions for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Do you know anyone who has been affected by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? What was the cause? ex: War, Rape, Assault, … What were the symptoms?
- If you know someone, how has it impacted their life and the lives of their family?
- What can you do to assist people with PTSD to get some help?
- Encourage them to be evaluated by a professional mental health worker. This might be at the Veteran’s Administration or by a private psychiatrist.
- If they are severely disabled from the effects of PTSD, encourage them to seek an intensive therapy program. For example, the Veterans Administration has such programs.
- Help them to learn all they can about PTSD and possible treatments
- Encourage them to stay on their treatment plan or work with their doctor/therapist to change the plan until it works
- Help them to find a support group of peers who are going through the same thing
- Help them to find an organization that they can join with others to help limit the effects of PTSD and aid in healing
- Help their family in learning about PTSD and supporting their loved one
- What kind of advocacy to help people with PTSD would you like to engage in or encourage others to engage in?
- Get involved in victim’s rights organizations
- Join the peace movement
- Volunteer for a program that deals with people with PTSD
- Disseminate information about PTSD
- Encourage mental health workers to be trained to handle PTSD
For resources see: Resources for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder