Discussion Questions for Therapeutic Farm Community
- Have you ever lived on or spent some time on a farm? If so, what were some of the experiences there that were different from your everyday life?
- Why do you think that a farm environment would be particularly helpful for people recovering from mental illness.
- The success of such a program might be due to being in touch with nature; to being an environment where your contribution is valued; to having an attitude of respect towards the clients; to having a very high staff to client ratio; to being a voluntary program. What do you think are the most important factors in the success?
- Most of the therapeutic farm communities in the US were founded by a family. Why do you think this is the case?
- What do you think of Don and Lisbeth Cooper’s statement that they might not have founded the community if they knew all the obstacles ahead of them.
- Does creating or working on a community like this appeal to you? If so, what is your next step in discerning if you want to do this?
These questions are to provide family and peer discussion and education. The information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical or psychological condition. If you think someone is too fragile to be part of the discussion, please have them consult their mental health care provider for individual advice regarding the situation.