Discussion Questions for African American Mental Health
- What do you see as the major barriers for African Americans in getting adequate mental health care?
- How do the following affect mental health care among African Americans?
- suspiciousness of white doctors
- greater stigma in their own community about mental health
- lack of information
- What advantages to members of the African American community have with respect to mental health? How can these be maximized?
- What are some things that we can do as individuals and collectively to change this situation?
- For local resources see: Resources Mentioned in the Show
These questions are to provide family and peer discussion and education. The information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical or psychological condition. If you think someone is too fragile to be part of the discussion, please have them consult their mental health care provider for individual advice regarding the situation.