Discussion Questions for Alternative Medicine
- Have you ever used a form of Alternative Medicine? If so, what was your experience? Are you still using it? Would you do it again? If you have not used Alternative Medicine, are there any forms of it that you might consider using?
- Using Alternative Medicine can sometimes be controversial. What do you see as the pro and con arguments for its use?
- What do you think of the fact that there is a spiritual component in some forms of Alternative Medicine?
- Why do you think the Chinese government has banned QiGong?
- Dr. Michael Kessler’s work stresses that there are unresolved emotional conflicts behind many physical and mental ailments. What do you think of this supposition?
- Some have said that the success of Alternative Medicine is largely due to the placebo effect. Do you agree? Supposing this is true, is this necessarily a negative evaluation?
- Some forms of Alternative Medicine, like that practiced by Dr. Michael Kessler, stress treating the whole patient’s life, not just the symptoms. For example, he encourages exercise, nourshing food, adequate sleep, checking for allergies, etc. Do you see wisdom in this approach? Are there any drawbacks?
- What part do think having an ongoing trusting relationship has in healing by Alternative Medicine?
- Some people believe that Alternative Medicine can be combined with conventional medicine? Do you agree? Why or why not?
Notes: For resources see: Resources for Alternative Medicine