Discussion Questions for Famous People with Mental Illness
- Does it come as a surprise to you that many famous people have had mental illness? Why or why not?
- What were some of the things done by these people to help deal with mental illness, especially before mental health treatement existed? Ex: abuse of alcohol, hiding from the world, raging against the world, immersing in writing/art/music, rest cures. How are our options different today?
- Do you think these artists would have been famous and made the contributions they made without having a mental illness? Why or why not?
- It seems like these famous mentally ill people had great unhappiness in their lives. Do you think this is true of most famous people? Of most mentally ill people? Do you think it is possible to be famous, mentally ill and happy?
- Do you know of other famous people who have had a mental illness? If so, tell about what you know of their lives.
- Have you ever met a famous person who had a mental illness? What did you learn from them and their example?
These questions are to provide family and peer discussion and education. The information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical or psychological condition. If you think someone is too fragile to be part of the discussion, please have them consult their mental health care provider for individual advice regarding the situation.