Discussion Questions for Latino Community Mental Health
- Do you know someone who is a Latino or Latina who is struggling with mental health problems? If so, what are the circumstances that might be exacerbating the situation?
- What do you think about the fact that the longer a Latino or Latina is in the US, the more likely he or she will have mental health problems? Why do you think this is happening?
- What do you think about the importance of following factors that play a role in creating culturally competant mental health care: health care in one’s native language, professional interpreters, peer support, communty involvement, religious faith
- Sandra and Gerardo both have created a broad set of family and community supports that help them to get well and stay well. This is critical to their success. Do you think that has been helped or hurt by the fact that they are Latino? Why?
- Would you be willing to be a peer group leader like Sandra or Gerardo if you had a mental health problem? Why or why not?
- How can you find out what are some of the mental health resources for Latinos in your community?
- If your community doesn’t have culturally competant mental health care, and it is required by many of the citizens, what are some things you can do about it?
Notes: For resources see: Resources for Latino Mental Health