Discussion Questions for Peer Respite Centers
- Do you know anyone who has been a guest at a peer respite center, or something similar? If so, what was their experience like?
- What do you see as the advantages of this kind of treatment over the more common experience in a hospital mental health ward?
- Do you see any disadvantages of peer respite centers?
- What do you think about the concept that guests are free to come and go and control their own medication?
- What do you think about having the staff all be people who have had a mental health crisis sometime in the past? What do you see as the advantages and disadvantages?
- Both Michael and Yana had experience with similarly run centers in the 1970’s and 1980’s. Why do you think they are so passionate about this kind of treatment today?
- Why do you think these kinds of centers aren’t more common? Who do you think might object to them, and why?
- Would you be interested in starting such a center in your community? If so, where would you go to find out how to do so?
For resources see: Resources Mentioned in the Show
These questions are to provide family and peer discussion and education. The information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical or psychological condition. If you think someone is too fragile to be part of the discussion, please have them consult their mental health care provider for individual advice regarding the situation.