Discussion Questions for Suicide
- Has there ever been a suicide in your extended family? If so, what has been the attitude of family members in speaking of the person and the act?
- Have you ever felt suicidal? If so, would you be willing to talk to the group about the circumstances? What helped? What didn’t help?
- Why do you think someone would choose suicide?
- What are the warning signs of suicide?
- What could you do if you think someone else is suicidal?
- What could you do if you are suicidal?
- How can a person’s religious faith be a source of strength, hope and healing when dealing with suicide?
- How can you do public advocacy on suicide?
- The web site International Association for Suicide Prevention has lots of information on warning signs and suggestions of what to do.
- For local resources see: Suicide Resources Mentioned in the Show
These questions are to provide family and peer discussion and education. The information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical or psychological condition. If you think someone is too fragile to be part of the discussion, please have them consult their mental health care provider for individual advice regarding the situation.