Discussion Questions for Writing
- Have you ever had the experience of writing that has helped you through a rough spot? If so, explain what happened.
- Why do you think writing has the effect of helping people with the symptoms of mood disorders?
- What about the study that Beth explained that had trauma victims symptoms significantly helped by only one episode of writing? What was going on there?
- Do you think other kinds of creative activities can also be helpful for victims of mood disorders?
- Do you think writing could be helpful for other kinds of psychological problems – schizophrenia, for example? Why or why not?
- Do you think the group aspect – having someone witnessing your writing – is important? Or, would you have a similar effect writing alone?
- What do you think about the guidelines Beth has delineated for the group? Would they work for you?
For resources see: Resources Mentioned in the Show
These questions are to provide family and peer discussion and education. The information is for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical or psychological condition. If you think someone is too fragile to be part of the discussion, please have them consult their mental health care provider for individual advice regarding the situation.